Mission of the Friends of Brooks Memorial Library
The mission of the Friends is to support the Brooks Library through advocacy, public relations, and fundraising in order to provide the highest quality library services to the community.
The Friends is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) entity. Fundraising events held by the Friends include book sales, concerts, contests, raffles, auctions, and other special events.
The Friends sponsor the Vermont Humanities Council’s “First Wednesdays” lecture series. The videos of many of last year’s lectures are posted on the Brattleboro Community Television website. For example:
- The Science of Happiness (Catherine Sanderson) — 10/5/2016
- What this Country Needs is a Secretary of the Future (David Brancaccio) — 11/2/2016
- How William Carlos Williams Changed Poetry (Hank Gutman) — 12/7/2016
- Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales (Peter Travis) — 1/4/2017
- Building Monticello (Marlene Heck) — 2/1/2017
- Jane Austen in Her Time (Suzanne Brown) — 3/1/2017
- Reinventing the Family Home (Erin Sassin) — 4/5/2017
Last year the Friends also initiated a “Short Story Reading and Discussion” series sponsored by The Vermont Country Store. See our calendar for a complete list of upcoming Friends-supported events.
Join us and become a Friend of the Library!